A few weeks ago I came across an article on a South African newspaper stating ten great reasons to visit Mozambique. I was curious. How many points would I score out of 10? Could I have experienced all or just a few? Here I am, living in and writing about Mozambique, suddenly having doubts of my own credentials. So I went through that list.
1. Gorongosa National Park: I’ve been there before it was destroyed during the war and I plan to visit it again as soon as I have the opportunity.
2. Horsing around on Bazaruto: I was in Bazaruto, not horsing around though. Does it count?
3. Adrift on Lago Niassa: Definitively a no. We have plans but they sound still distant.
4. Being cool at peri-peri chicken: Yep!
5. Snorkeling at Santa Carolina Island: Big score! You just have to read my early posts.
6. History – live – on Ilha: If you know this site, you must remember Ilha de Moçambique.
7. Rails across the north: Unfortunately, never traveled (north or south) by train. Kind of a handicap, isn’t it?
8. Seafood of the Gods: It is about Costa do Sol restaurant. I’m a huge fan!
9. Sailing on the bay of dhows: That’s Inhambane Bay, ultimate paradise for photographing boats and sunsets. The last time I was there 2004 was still on the calendars. No doubt I have done that.
10. And one for the beer: That is the easiest one. (Is it?) Be it in Vilankulos or any other place, I definitively know the taste of it.
I think I’ve done well with 8 out of 10. It was kind of helpful in terms of showing me where to go if I really want to know more about this country.