Ilha de Moçambique
I recently asked a Mozambican man how his children were. The answer was curious: “They’re fine now that it’s mango time.”
Mozambicans are an example that the world should look at. They make the most of what nature offers and ask for very little…
I expected a lot from 2018 and I finished the year with the feeling that I did so little. This feeling has dominated in recent years.
However, there are many reasons to celebrate, of which I choose Ilha de Moçambique, where I have been twice in the last year.
Certainly it was not “mango time” for this blog, but I have done my best to be “mango time” for this blogger. It has to be that way when we set priorities.
I have not decided if I will continue to write. This decision may not depend on me. “Mango time” is decisive.
No place shows us the capacity for renewal like Africa. In the last few days I had a clear idea of this when I witnessed:
1. The fantastic weather in March.
2. Young giraffes in the reserve that we cross to get to Ponta do Ouro.
3. The first leopard in Gorongosa in 14 years!!!
4. Three months of incredible freedom!!!
5. The works in the church that finally seem to move forward.
6. Knowing that I am happy and will be happy whatever happens in the near future.
7. Although the new neighbors evoke the Gaza Strip, the truth is that I am the exception in an area where embassies, diplomats and government officials predominate. Until when can I fight the tide? This is a very interesting challenge.
8. It was good to know that I could easily dance in public, even if I would have trouble in getting my legs up or proclaiming the size of a woman’s (or a man’s) organ.
This capacity for innovation makes us feel strong and capable of facing the toughest trials. Africa is a woman, although for bizarre reasons some insist on considering it neutral. Long live the extraordinary women of Africa!
I hope the movie “The Shape of Water” has the recognition it deserves. This world has too many secrets and people using such secrets to manipulate us, to use us, to achieve their interests and do whatever they want. Those people are sure that they played the right card and that is not always the case…
There are two other reasons for me to talk about this movie:
– who the ugly one loves, handsome it seems to him (“Quem o feio ama, bonito lhe parece”, as we say in Portuguese) but the ugliness of heart does not enter into this equation!;
– finally, the recognition that there are beings (even humans) who are aquatic and their need for water that is becoming scarce.
Let us see how all this is recognized by people not always attentive to the most subtle details.
Knowledge and Learning
In a previous life I was married. My children and I were the main thing in my husband’s mind. I think that’s the norm, even in marriages where relationships are not perfect.
Now I’m fourth or even fifth place. I am second to smoking, relatives, friends and professional activity. I knew it almost from the start. The best of 2017 was to discover why. Mental blindness is not my cup of tea. I will have to assimilate the reality or give up.
Time to Be Happy
I have heard a person comment that bloggers want the attention of others. This is not necessarily true. Many bloggers have only stories to tell.
It’s the time of the year to be with the loved ones. The blog will have to wait. Nobody is perfect. Being happy may be the most perfect thing there is.
We celebrated the 25th of September visiting Macaneta Beach. We had a day of sun and wind followed by another day of heavy rain. The facilities of the lodge were reasonable, but the food didn’t have much quality.
While there was sun, we walked and photographed some girls who are daughters of local fishermen. The rain was torrential and lasted most of the second day. As we already knew the weather forecast, we were not disappointed. It must have been the best of this September.
Now and then I go out more than usual. That is what has been happening lately. At least twice a week, for three consecutive weeks, I go out for dinner or some show. The usual would be once a week.
I had birthday parties, social dinners and shows. Wednesday I went to an electronic and contemporary dance show. Now I am thinking about Ceuzany.
It’s interesting how sometimes we feel like home and other times we opt for socializing.